Tuesday, February 23, 2010

It's Our Due Date!

Today is February 23rd, which means we have finally reached our original due date! This is a huge milestone for Anderson! Even though he was not born anywhere near today, doctors will continue to use today as the marker for developmental milestones. This day seemed so far away.....

We first went to the hospital on Saturday, November 21, 2009. I woke up with what I now know to be a very small amount of blood. Since I was diagnosed with Placenta Previa, bleeding is a big no-no so the doctors said to go to the hospital. At this point we were at 26 weeks, still 3 days away from 27 weeks. Since the bleed was so small, they were going to send us home, until they looked at the contraction monitor and realized I had been having contractions. At this point I didn't know what they felt like and really could not feel them. The doctors decided to admit us overnight for observations. While there we got our first cycle of steriod shots to speed up Anderson's lung development.

By Sunday my doctor (Dr. Warner, who was wonderful) decided I needed to be on modified bedrest for several weeks. This was something I could do at home, so she discharged us.

For those of you unfamiliar with Placenta Previa, basically my placenta was covering my cervix, meaning the baby could not come out that way. Oh and there is a huge risk to the mother to hemorrage and bleed to death (in about 10 minutes!). Many women who are diagnosed early in their pregnancy eventually have their placenta move. Mine was happy where it was when they did an ultrasound at the hospital.

Luckily Monday (11/23) evening Dave stayed up to watch a bad movie and when he came to bed around 11pm, I woke up to go to the bathroom. I'll be honest and say I got hysterical. This was not a little bleed like Saturday. Chandler Regional Hospital is only about 2 miles away, so Dave rushed us there. As soon as I heard the baby's heartbeat on the fetal monitor, I was able to calm down. That sound is the best in the world! The staff told us that this hospital was not equipped to handle a baby less than 28 weeks, so I got to ride in an ambulance to Banner Desert. They have the highest level of NICU and an outstanding children's hospital. This is what they do!

So, our time at Banner Desert began in the early morning hours of Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 27 weeks into the pregnancy. Tuesday night was the only night I needed to take anti-anxiety medication. Tara was my fabulous nurse while I was in labor & delivery and Tuesday had been an overwhelming day between the drugs (magnesium) and talking to the neonatal doctors about what it means to have a baby this early. The really cool news was that at my ultrasound that morning, Anderson weighed in at 2 pounds, 12 ounces, which I came to learn was great for 27 weeks.

Eventually I was moved to the antipartum wing of the maternity ward. I heard stories of women who were there for months before delivering, while others only needed to stay a little while. Our first goal was to get us to 28 weeks, when statistics for the baby improved a lot. The doctors debated sending us home on bed rest at that point, but that option was quickly eliminated.
My countdown in my room!

For those of you keeping track, yes, we spent the holidays in the hospital. Lots of them. I told one of my blood techs that I was keeping track of how long we were there based on the holidays. Our big goal was to make it past New Year's Day because that meant we were at 32 weeks (which is a HUGE milestone).

As time went on we passed Thanksgiving, my birthday, Christmas, and New Year's Day. The staff at Banner Desert were beyond wonderful. Nurse Barb always had activities planned for us to do. I had many great conversations with the nurses and aides (and doctors too -- I loved visits with Dr. Spence).
Christmas 2009

People asked if I was bored. Not really. There was always someone coming in to check on us or to give me medications, etc. I never went longer then 4 hours without seeing someone. I had lots of visitors and everyone brought me tons of stuff to do. And of course, I love to read! Granted, holding a book was difficult between being on my side and having IVs in my arms. Thankfully I got a Sony eReader for my birthday from Carolyn, which made reading much easier!

Oh, did I forget to mention that during all this time I was mostly on my left side - too many contractions on my right. The only time I could walk was the two feet to the bathroom. I could sit up long enough to eat. I was granted wheelchair privileges for 30 minutes a day so I could go to activities, but I always seemed to have a bleed after doing that....

It was hardest on Dave. He got up early in the morning so he could come sit with me for a little bit before going to work. Then after work he would go home to take care of Sedona, then come to the hospital again. Even though Banner Desert is only about 5 miles away, in the city that translates to about a 20 minute drive! Through it all he was amazing and I could not have asked for a more supportive husband. I got lucky.
Dave New Year's Eve after Iowa State bowl win

At first my bleeds did not happen that often, but as we moved through December they became more frequent and closer together. Basically, if I started to have contractions too severe, I would bleed. The doctors were still hopeful that we could make it to 36 weeks, but I just wanted to get to 32.

On the evening of Sunday, January 3, 2010 I had yet another bleed. Usually they could get the contractions under control with different medications, but this night they could not. We had made it to 32 weeks, and were only 2 days sigh of 33 weeks! By Monday they put me back on the magnesium at a high dosage and had me call Dave to come to the hospital. They moved us back to labor & delivery. Thankfully our friend Paula was visiting and she was able to pack up our room!!

Since I was going to need a c-section, I was not given food or drink beginning on Monday --- just in case. It really didn't matter to me, though, because while on the magnesium I was completely out of it. I had to keep a damp cloth over my eyes because it hurt too much to open them.

By Tuesday night (33 weeks!)my contractions were not stronger and I was no longer actively bleeding fresh blood (I learned all about the different colors of blood). The doctors decided that on Wednesday they were going to take me off of the magnesium and let me eat. The decision was that they were just going to let me ride it out, and if something happened, they were not going to try and stop it this time. Can I just say that they still were talking about making it to 36 weeks!!

I was SO happy on Wednesday to be off the magnesium. The world came back into focus. I could get up to use the bathroom (with a nurses help) and by dinner I was able to keep down solid food! Yeah!

Since being in labor & delivery I was on a contraction monitor and a fetal heart monitor constantly. Late Wednesday night I woke up to use the bathroom and my nurse asked if I had been feeling any contractions over the last hour. Nope - I was sound asleep. It seems I had about 15 in that hour. Oh. Since I wasn't bleeding, we were just going to be a little more vigilante (and of course I could not fall back asleep because then I WAS feeling them). To be safe she changed into her surgical scrubs (that should have been my sign).

The doctor on call was hoping we would make it until morning when my regular doctors were back at the hospital. I was given a shot of terbutaline to help at some point in the wee hours of Thursday, January 7, 2010. Literally not 5 minutes later I knew I was bleeding - and a lot.

Everything moved very quickly after that. The room was full of folks prepping me for surgery and waking up Dave to get to the hospital. I just could not believe it was all happening.

We were wheeled in surgery and just as they were getting me comfortable on the table Dave walked in. At 3:59am we heard a cry........

No comments:

Post a Comment